Roberts Vaux Proclamation
ROBERTS VAUX CONSOLIDATED SCHOOL,
Jacob C. White, Jr., Principal.
On the first day of January, 1876, the ROBERTS VAUX CONSOLIDATED SCHOOL, now located on Randolph Street, below Popular Street, in the Twelfth Ward, will be removed to the commodious BROWN STONE BUILDING, known as the
WILLIAM D. KELLEY SCHOOL HOUSE,
Wood Street above Eleventh Street, Fourteenth Ward.
It is the desire and design of the Board of Public Education, in opening this School to the colored children and youth of Philadelphia, to afford them more enlarged educational facilities than they have heretofore enjoyed.
For this purpose no building could be more eligibly located than the William D. Kelley, equal distance from the northern and southern portions of the City, and at the same time one of the most attractive of our Public School Buildings.
The School has been supplied with every possible convenience and supplies necessary to the comfort of teachers and scholars, and will accommodate over 500 pupils.
It is hoped and expected that the earnest co-operation of the colored people will be enlisted in behalf of tis movement, and that its success may prove to the Board of Public Education, that its efforts to benefit the colored schools are rightly appreciated.
Applications for admission may be now made to the Principal, either at his present, or at his residence, No. 1032 Lombard Street, or after the 1st of January, 1876, at the Kelley School House, Wood Street, above Eleventh Street.
By Order of the Committee on Grammar, Secondary, and Primary Schools,
JAMES H. MACBRIDE, Chairman
Philadelphia, December 10, 1875
This proclamation signed by James H. MacBride, Chairman of the Committee on Grammar, Secondary, and Primary Schools, announced that the Roberts Vaux School moved to the William D. Kelley School House. In this document, MacBride extols the necessity of quality education for African Americans.
Image: "American Negro Historical Society, 1876-1899," Leon Gardiner Collection [0008B], Historical Society of Pennsylvania.